Learn to Ride a Motorcycle

To ride a motorcycle or scooter on public roads in the UK, you first need to have or get a driving licence with provisional entilement for a moped/motorcycle, then complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course to get a DL196 certificate that will validate your license and enable you to ride a motorcycle or scooter up to 125cc. The CBT certificate last for two years, so if you have not passed the full motorcycle test before it runs out, you will need to go through the CBT course again to be validated for another two years.

In fact, there are many people who only ride occasionally and that are happy with a 125cc bike, that just keep to the CBT level for many years.

To learn more about the CBT, watch the Official DVSA CBT Video.

Take a look here for a selection of 125cc motorcycles available in 2023.

However, for those wanting to progress to a larger capacity motorcycle or scooter, then the UK motorcycle license laws are not exactly straight forward. Click here to find out more detail UK Motorcycle and Moped Licences.

Apply for your provisional driving license here (gov.uk).

After obtaining a DL196 (CBT certificate) the next step towards going fora full motorcycle test is passing the Theory / Hazard Perception test. The DVSA 'Practice Theory Test' for motorcyclists can be found here.

Once the DVSA Theory test has been successfully completed, you can then go on to take the full motorcycle test which is split into two parts.

Read the official Highway Code for England, Scotland and Wales here.

Learn about traffic signs in Great Britain here.

The first part is known as the Mod1, to find out more watch the Official DVSA Module 1 Video.

The second part is known as the Mod 2, and here you can watch the Official DVSA Module 2 Video.

Of course, it is recommended that you find yourself a good motorcycle training school to prepare you for the full motorcycle test.

Tips on selecting a motorcycle training school.